Two additional people have tested positive for COVID-19, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis announced in the House of Assembly today.
“Late last evening, health officials confirmed two additional cases of individuals who tested positive for COVID-19 in New Providence,” Minnis said.
“They were identified through contact tracing.”
Minnis said the patients were identified through the Ministry of Health’s aggressive contact tracing investigations.
He said the investigation revealed that the additional patients live in the same household as the 61-year-old woman, who tested positive for the virus on Sunday.
“These contact tracing investigations have revealed that household members of the COVID-19 positive patient traveled to jurisdictions with known community transmission – Canada, Trinidad and Dubai,” Minnis continued.
He added that health care providers are being tested to determine their level of risk.
The virus, which can cause pneumonia, originated in Wuhan, China, late last year.
Since then, it has spread to all continents except Antarctica.
The Bahamas now has three confirmed cases of COVID-19.