The prosecution on Tuesday dropped its case against a man who had an intimate relationship with a teenage girl.
In August 2021, police charged 45-year-old Marvin Beneby with abduction of an unmarried teen after a 16-year-old runaway was found at his home in Laird Street.
Prosecutors say that Beneby allowed the minor to live with him from July 5, 2021 to August 5, 2021.
When Beneby appeared before Senior Magistrate Derence Rolle-Davis for the continuation of his trial, the prosecutor, Inspector Kendrick Bauld, said after speaking to the teen’s parents he decided to withdraw the case.
Last month, the teenager testified that she had lied to Beneby about her age when they met online.
They began dating and became intimate, she said. Although the teen could give consent, as a minor she needed her parents’ permission to stay with Beneby.
Had the trial continued, Beneby could have faced a maximum sentence of two years’ imprisonment.
Wilver Delevaux represented Beneby.