Business

Club Med joins growing list of resorts to delay opening

Club Med Columbus Isle is the latest resort to postpone its reopening date beyond the July 1 opening of the tourism sector.

The flagship resort on San Salvador and lifeline of that island’s economy has delayed it’s opening to December 12, its website has indicated.

When the resort does reopen it will feature new safety measures with trained staff and will operate with a capped capacity of 65 percent to enable social distancing and space.

“An international scientific committee comprised of a specialized team of doctors and professors advises Club Med on health and hygiene protocols and validates the enhanced protocols, taking into account recommendations from worldwide health authorities and local regulations,” Club Med noted in a statement.

Some of those safety features include staff wearing protective face coverings while inside, preparing food or cleaning; as well as wearing gloves in all food preparation and during cleaning protocols.

Club Med is also stipulating that guests have their temperatures checked upon check-in and periodically throughout their stay.

Other safety measures include making hand sanitizer available throughout the resort, deep cleaning and sanitizing surfaces and equipment more frequently, social distancing with floor markings and having a doctor or nurse available at the resort at all times.

Club Med’s delayed reopening comes following announcements that Baha Mar and Sandals Royal Bahamian are postponing their reopening to later in the year.

Earlier this week, Minister of Tourism and Aviation Dionisio D’ Aguilar said he was disappointed by the decisions of those resorts to postpone their reopening, but said he understood they were making business decisions.

The global tourism industry has been the most impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, with many cruise lines, airlines and resorts around the world on the brink of financial collapse.

The government has said bolstering tourist arrivals would be the easiest way to offset the double digit economic decline The Bahamas is expected to experience as a result of COVID-19.

Show More

Paige McCartney

Paige joined The Nassau Guardian in 2010 as a television news reporter and anchor. She has covered countless political and social events that have impacted the lives of Bahamians and changed the trajectory of The Bahamas. Paige started working as a business reporter in August 2016. Education: Palm Beach Atlantic University in 2006 with a BA in Radio and Television News

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker