The Bahamas hit a grim milestone yesterday as it surpassed 4,000 cases of COVID-19 with health officials reporting an additional 200 cases on New Providence alone.
Earlier in the day, the Ministry of Health said there were 103 new cases on the island, representing cases confirmed a day earlier, and last night it added another 97 cases to the New Providence tally.
In total, there are now 4,123 cases in The Bahamas. Just over half are recovered cases.
In total, the Ministry of Health reported 119 additional cases for Tuesday and 101 cases were confirmed yesterday.
The Tuesday cases included nine on Abaco, four on Grand Bahama, two on Exuma and one on Andros.
Yesterday’s cases included one on Abaco and three cases with locations pending.
The Ministry of Health reported four additional deaths on Tuesday and one death yesterday. The total number of deaths now stand at 96.
Health officials said an 86-year-old woman, a 50-year-old man and a 55-year-old woman of New Providence died on September 28. A 53-year-old woman from New Providence who died on September 23 was also confirmed to have died from the virus.
A 75-year-old man from New Providence died on September 29.
There are now 92 hospitalized cases. Recovered cases sit at 2,206 and active cases are at 1,791.
There were 20,261 tests completed up to yesterday.
The high increases in new cases came a week after Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis told Parliament The Bahamas appears to be nearing the end of the second wave of COVID-19.
It also came on the same day the opposition leader, Philip Brave Davis, speaking in Parliament, accused the government of failing in the fight against the pandemic.
Davis said The Bahamas is doing the worst in the region in fighting COVID-19, and added the government should be ashamed of the little progress made.
“If you’re talking about around the world, don’t compare yourself to around the world,” said Davis, who returned to the House of Assembly for the first time since he recovered from COVID-19.
“Insofar as around the world is concerned, we are in last place as to how we’re dealing with it. I don’t want to get into that. We’re in last place. We are the worst off in the region in handling COVID.”
However, Minister of Health Renward Wells insisted The Bahamas is doing well in its fight against COVID, saying the case fatality rate is currently at 2.3 percent.
“When you look at that, Mr. Speaker, that is in the top tier of the one percent globally. The rate goes anywhere from 0.1 percent to 20 percent. And it speaks to your capacity in the healthcare system to be able to deal with those persons presenting with COVID-19.”
The Bahamas remains under a state of emergency, which is set to expire on October 31, but the government can seek a further extension to the end of the year.
While New Providence still has a curfew of 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., the competent authority previously relaxed restrictions that had been put in place in an effort to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.