News

Dames says police are working on IDing storm victims

Minister of National Security Marvin Dames yesterday downplayed concerns over the amount of time it is taking to identify the bodies of Hurricane Dorian victims.

His comments came five months after the monster storm tore through Abaco and Grand Bahama.

“There are some, as you know, given the level of decomposition and things of that nature, it’s not very easy to identify,” he said.

“And again, from a technological standpoint, getting DNA becomes that much trickier.

“But the police are on top of it. They’re working with the FBI (U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation) in getting DNA.

“…And that is in hand. I don’t know why other persons are making a big deal of that. That is well in hand.”

He added, “We have to sit back, pause for a second and let the process take its course.”

The Nassau Guardian understands that the government experienced challenges identifying victims of Dorian on the island.

The Guardian was told that DNA samples were sent to the FBI about four times following a failure to properly identify the race, age or sex of the victims.

Dorian impacted nearly 30,000 people and killed at least 70 — most of whom were on Abaco.

Minister of Health Dr. Duane Sands said earlier this month that 50 bodies on Abaco had not yet been identified.

He was unable to say how many bodies were unclaimed on the island.

On January 19, the Ministry of Health said there were 51 bodies being stored in the refrigerated trailer near the clinic in Marsh Harbour.

Show More

Rachel Knowles

Rachel joined The Nassau Guardian in January 2019. Rachel covers national issues. Education: University of Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker