Five more cases of COVID-19 were reported in The Bahamas yesterday, including an additional two people who recently traveled, health officials said.
This brings to 124 the number of cases confirmed since March.
The two individuals with histories of travel — a 73-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman — are both isolated at home on New Providence, according to the Ministry of Health.
The remaining cases were confirmed on Grand Bahama.
They include a 45-year-old man, a 43-year-old man and an 84-year-old woman, all of whom are isolated at home.
None of those cases has histories of travel.
Between June 15 and July 7, no new cases were confirmed in The Bahamas.
Prior to July 8, there had not been a confirmed COVID-19 case on Grand Bahama since May 5.
Twenty cases of the virus have been confirmed since July 8 — 13 on Grand Bahama and seven on New Providence.
Seven of the cases confirmed within the last 10 days have travel histories, according to the ministry.
All of those cases are related to travel to the United States, according to a source in the Ministry of Health.
The United States continues to lead global charts for its number of confirmed COVID-19 cases. There are currently more than 3.5 million cases in the U.S.
Florida has become the world’s new epicenter for COVID-19 with more than 315,000 cases.
Nearly 14,000 new cases of the virus were reported in the state yesterday.
On June 28, Prime Minister and Minister of Health Dr. Hubert Minnis begged Bahamians not to travel abroad.
“If you are thinking of traveling for non-essential or non-emergency reasons, please, I beg you, stay at home at this time,” he said.
“Please stay at home. I beg you. I implore you to stay at home. If you must fly, visit our Family Islands.”
Linda Treco-Mackey, Bahamas consul general in Miami, last week strongly advised against traveling to Miami.
“I think the [COVID-19] numbers are just too high,” she said.