Former PM has COVID

Ingraham admitted to hospital

Former Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham has been hospitalized following complications from COVID-19.

One of his doctors, Dr. Duane Sands, said last night Ingraham is “clinically stable” and is in a critical care area at Doctors Hospital east.

“He had complications of COVID and he is now recovering with treatment,” Sands said.

Speaking with The Nassau Guardian from hospital, Ingraham said last night that he felt fine.

He also confirmed that his wife, Delores, and two members of his law office staff also tested positive, but said he was the only one who required hospitalization.

Ingraham, 74, said he had been home on medication for 10 days on doctor’s orders after he tested positive. He was admitted to hospital on Tuesday.

He said, “I feel much better now. All the vital signs are good so far…I am much improved over what I was when I came in. I am very hopeful and trust that everything will work out well.”

He added, “I am being assisted by oxygen.”

Asked about events that led to his diagnosis, Ingraham said, “I went to the doctor before I got tested.

“I went to the doctor and he determined that I had bronchitis. He gave a set of medication. I decided to take them. I didn’t feel right.

“One of the persons in the office said, ‘Have you had a COVID test?’ I said, ‘No.’

“They said, ‘You should get a COVID test. We can cause arrangements to be made for them to come to your house and test you and your wife.’

“I said, ‘Fine. No problem.’ And they came. They tested me and my wife. They called me back a couple hours later and said myself and my wife both tested positive.”

Ingraham said that following his positive test, he was comfortable with the advice his doctor gave.

“… I went and did all the tests for the heart and the x-rays and they all came out fine and then I continued to have discomfort, mostly in urinating,” he said.

He said his doctor advised that they wait for 10 days to see how he was progressing. He was admitted to hospital after he was evaluated on the 10th day.

Ingraham said his wife is “doing wonderful”.

“She was looking after me for the last 10 days,” he noted.

Asked where he thinks he contracted the virus, Ingraham said that since March, he has been extremely careful and has limited his movements.

“I leave my house in the morning around 10, 11 o’clock. I go to my office. I spend hours there until about 4, 4:30. I go back home. I go nowhere,” he said.

“I did one thing. I went to my barber several weeks ago…I have been in the pharmacy twice in the last year. I have not been in the food store. I’ve not traveled anywhere.

“I’ve kept my mask on whenever I get outside my house, outside my yard, so I have no idea what could have happened.”

Ingraham was also asked whether he plans to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

“There’s no question I’m going to get the vaccine,” he said.

“I would have gotten the vaccine whether I had COVID or not. As soon as I am able to, as soon as it’s available to me, yes ma’am, absolutely, positively.”

Sands said Ingraham is under close observation.

“We hope that the prognosis is good, but we have to be vigilant and continue his treatment several more days,” he said.

Ingraham expressed gratitude to the medical team taking care of him.

In addition to Dr. Sands, they include Dr. N’Tari Darville (intensivist); Dr. Rhea Thurston-Carroll, (nephrologist); Dr. Charlyon Bonimy (infectious disease specialist); Dr. Kevin Moss (pulmonologist); Dr. Ariane Davis (endocrinologist), nurses and other support staff.

Show More

Candia Dames

Candia Dames is the executive editor of The Nassau Guardian.

Related Articles

Back to top button