Students on Grand Bahama, who were impacted by Hurricane Dorian, are expected to return to school in “a couple of weeks”, Minister of Education Jeffrey Lloyd said yesterday.
Dorian tore through Abaco and Grand Bahama last month, leaving hundreds of people missing and at least 60 dead.
The Ministry of Education has said that 10,000 students were displaced as a result of the storm.
When asked yesterday if students were expected back in classes by the end of the month, Lloyd said, “Before the end of the month? We better have classes resuming because you’re talking about students in grades 11 and 12 who are taking end of year exams, students in grade nine who are taking end of year exams.
“[So], absolutely, we expect that school is going to be up and running within a matter of a couple of weeks…”
The minister said officials on Grand Bahama were working to resume classes “as quickly as possible.”
However, he said, the instability of the island’s water supply has proved challenging in doing so.
“We accept and understand the pressure and the salinity content is unacceptable at this time and they’re working very, very quickly and hard to get that [fixed] as quickly as possible,” Lloyd said.
“You would know all of their lenses in [the] Freeport area were contaminated by water because of the flooding. We understand that the pressure is simply not available at this time.
“But as soon as we get, as it were, the all-clear from the water authorities, we expect that Grand Bahama will be up and going.”
The ministry is hosting enrollment sessions at the Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium until October 11, 2019.
As of September 25, at least 913 students have been processed at the stadium and an additional 250 students have been processed at Ministry of Education district offices throughout The Bahamas.