Jones, Moss, Nesbitt and McPhee-McCuin and their teams all suffer losses

It’s not been a good week so far for Bahamians Kai Jones, Annya Moss, Valerie Nesbitt and Women’s Basketball Head Coach Yolett ‘Coach Yo’ McPhee-McCuin and their respective teams as conference play continued in National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I basketball.

Jones and the nationally number six ranked University of Texas Longhorns (11-4, 5-3 Big 12) fell 83-69 to the undefeated and number two ranked Baylor University Bears (17-0, 9-0 Big 12) on Tuesday night at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas. The game was carried live on ESPN.

Jones played 23 minutes in the highly anticipated college basketball affair and finished with four points and three rebounds. The forward/center converted 2-of-4 shots from the field and missed his only attempt from deep. He did a lot of damage on the defensive end of the court, tying his season-high with two blocks and he added a steal.

Jones checked into the game at the 16:05 mark of the first half and quickly got a block and a rebound. His first bucket was a slam dunk at the 7:35 mark, pulling the Longhorns to within 29-21.

Bears’ guard Davion Mitchell, who scored a game-high 27 points, gave his team the momentum going into the second half after making a three-pointer to put his team up 41-34.

The Longhorns pounced on the Bears early in the second half as they went on a 13-4 scoring run to take their first and only lead in the game – 47-45. However, the Bears regained control and dictated the pace for the remainder of the game.

It will be another televised game for the 

Longhorns on Saturday when they head to Stillwater, Oklahoma, to play the number 24 ranked Oklahoma State University Cowboys (11-4, 4-4, Big 12) on the Cowboys’ home court at the Gallagher-Iba Arena. That game will be carried live on ABC and will start at 3 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST). The Longhorns won the first meeting back of the season between the two schools in December, 77-74.

Moss was in action on Monday afternoon but her team, the Mississippi Valley State University Devilettes (2-9, 0-7 SWAC) dropped a tough game in the 

Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC). The Devilettes fell to the Grambling State University Tigers (6-5, 5-2 SWAC), 56-52. That game was played at the FCH Assemble Center in Grambling, Louisiana.

Moss finished in double figures with 11 points. She shot 5-for-13 from the field but had a tough time beyond the arc going 1-for-7. The junior also had seven boards, two assists and a block.

Reserve player Moss appeared in the game at the 4:42 mark in the first quarter and missed her first shot attempt 29 seconds later. Moss got on the scoreboard at the 1:08 mark when she made a shot from deep to cut the Tigers’ lead down to 13-9. The score remained the same at the end of the first quarter.

Moss and the Devilettes outscored their opponents 21-13 in the second quarter to take a 30-26 lead heading into the half. The Devilettes increased that lead slightly to 46-40 heading into the fourth quarter. A 9-2 run in the fourth quarter by the home team erased that deficit and they held a slim 49-48 lead over Moss and the Devilettes at the 4:16 mark. Moss and her team were held to just six points in the fourth quarter as the Tigers outscored them 16-6.

The Devilettes will head to Montgomery, Alabama, to play Alabama State University Bulldogs (5-2, 3-1 SWAC) on Saturday on the Bulldogs’ home court at the T.M. Elmore Gym. That game will get underway at 2 p.m.

It was a heartbreaker for McPhee-McCuin and Nesbitt in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, as the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) Lady Rebels (7-7, 1-7 SEC) women lost 75-66 in overtime to the Louisiana State University (LSU) Tigers (8-7, 6-3 SEC) on Sunday afternoon. The game was played at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center in Baton Rouge.

Nesbitt played 31 minutes and finished with nine points, three assists and two rebounds. It was a tough shooting afternoon for her as she shot just 3-for-11 from the field and was 3-for-4 from the free throw line. Nesbitt had a team-high four steals.

McPhee-McCuin and the Rebels went into the fourth quarter with an eight-point advantage, up 51-43. However, the Tigers held a 63-62 lead with 12 seconds remaining in regulation. The Rebels had a chance to seal the game at the free throw line with one second remaining in regulation but Mimi Reid split a pair of free throws and the game went into overtime tied at 63.

“We’re talented, but we’re not tough,” said Lady Rebels’ Head Coach McPhee-McCuin. “We’re just not tough when it truly matters.”

The Rebels shot poorly in the overtime period, going 1-for-7 from the field. The Tigers outscored them 12-3 in the extra session to run away with the game.

The Rebels have a chance to snap their six-game losing streak when they play at home at the Pavilion in Oxford, Mississippi, tonight. They will host the number 14 ranked University of Kentucky Wildcats. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. local time.

Show More

Simba French

Simba joined The Nassau Guardian in 2012 as a technical producer for Guardian Radio 96.9 FM. He joined the Editorial Department as a sports reporter in 2018. Simba has covered a wide range of sports stories, including the 2018 CARIFTA in Nassau, Bahamas. Education: College of the Bahamas, BA Media Journalism

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker