Man accused of breaking curfew, not wearing mask, denies charges

A man accused of violating curfew rules and failing to wear a mask denied the charges yesterday.

Police arrested Mark Carey, 47, of Burial Ground Corner, for failing to remain at home and not wearing a mask while in public.

Both regulations were implemented to contain the local spread of COVID-19.

Prosecutors allege that Carey committed the offenses at 11:28 p.m. on May 5 on Labour Street.

He entered not guilty pleas at his arraignment before Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt. The prosecutor, Corporal Samantha Miah, objected to Carey’s release on bail due to concerns that he would interfere with a witness in a death threat case.

According to Miah, the curfew breach occurred when Carey allegedly made the death threat.

However, Ferguson-Pratt said she could not refuse bail on that basis since police did not charge Carey with threats of death.

She set bail at $1,500 on the condition that Carey reports to the Quackoo Street Police Station on Mondays. His trial is set for July 14.

Meanwhile, a man accused of flouting the COVID-19 restrictions was fined $500 by another magistrate.

Police arrested Denny Francois at 11:15 a.m. on May 3 at Ida Street.

He admitted to violating the weekend lockdown.

Francois told police that he knew about the movement restrictions but decide to go “by his boy to chill”.

In court, Francois told Senior Magistrate Derence Rolle-Davis that his mother’s gas went out while cooking Sunday dinner.

He said he went by a friend to get a portable gas tank.

According to Francois, he was talking to his friend when “police pulled up”.

He has to pay the money by June 17 to avoid spending two months in custody.

Rolle-Davis said, “Follow the curfew rules, Mr. Francois. If you come back, I’m not going to give the option of a fine, I’ll send you straight to jail.”

A woman who broke the lockdown last month was fined the same amount.

Police on bike patrol pulled over Is-land Delva, 35, as she pulled into the driveway of her home on Montgomery Avenue on April 5.

She told officers that she came to “deal with her son”.

In court, Delva claimed that she had spent the weekend by a friend, while her seven-year-old remained at home with her mother.

Delva said she left her friend’s place after learning that her son “was experiencing shortness of breath”.

Rolle-Davis fined her $500 or two months in prison. She was also fined $25 for not coming to court on Wednesday for her arraignment.

Show More

Artesia Davis

Artesia primarily covers court stories, but she also writes extensively about crime.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker