Man jailed for three and a half years

A man who said he bought a gun after he was robbed three times in a month has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison.

Police arrested Elvin Taylor, 27, of Windsor Lane, on May 25 after they found him with a 9mm pistol and 15 rounds of ammunition.

He pleaded guilty to charges of possession of a firearm and ammunition at his arraignment before Deputy Chief Magistrate Andrew Forbes on Wednesday.

Prosecutor Sergeant Kenny Thompson said the officers on patrol arrested Taylor after receiving information about a gun. Taylor fit the description of the suspect and the officers found the firearm in his pants, Thompson told the court.

Although represented by a lawyer, Taylor asked to address the court himself.

He said that last month his car broke down in Englerston.

Taylor said he thought a group of masked men had come to help him, but they robbed him of his watch, shades and chain.

Last week, Taylor allegedly fell victim to crime again.

On that occasion, he claimed, he was robbed in Coconut Grove.

Taylor said he bought a gun from a friend.

However, Forbes pointed out that this wasn’t Taylor’s first firearm conviction.

He was sentenced to two years in prison in 2015 for possession of an unlicensed firearm.

Forbes asked Taylor if he planned to shoot a potential robber.

Taylor claimed that he only wanted to “scare” him.

Forbes said, “If you had a gun and he had a gun, then what next?”

“Having a firearm doesn’t add protection to you at all. If anything, it escalates an already tense situation.”

Taylor’s lawyer, Ian Cargill, asked the court to be as lenient as possible, considering his previous conviction and early plea.

Cargill said there was no evidence that the gun was linked to any other criminal activity.

Show More

Artesia Davis

Artesia primarily covers court stories, but she also writes extensively about crime.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker