Police reported yesterday that a man on New Providence was beaten and stabbed during an armed robbery at a home in San Souci on Sunday.
Police said that shortly after 3 a.m., the man was at a home in San Souci, off Eastern Road, when he was approached by two men who robbed him of cash and a red Chevy Tahoe.
The men also beat and stabbed the man before fleeing in the Chevy Tahoe.
Officers in the area spotted the vehicle shortly after, but the
occupants refused to stop, leading police on a car chase that ended when the vehicle crashed in the vicinity of Fox Hill Road and Eastern Road.
The suspects fled on foot but were captured by police and taken into custody.
At last report, the victim was listed in stable condition, according to police.
Reports of the incident were widely circulated on social media yesterday.
Many expressed outrage as a recent string of housebreaking incidents on the island had already raised concern particularly because a number of the incidents were violent.
However, Acting Deputy Commissioner of Police Paul Rolle said yesterday that the “matters are being addressed”.
“The police will continue to provide coverage and seek to prevent as much as possible these unfortunate events,” Rolle said.
This latest incident follows a string of recent burglaries and home invasions on New Providence.
On February 5, former Governor General Sir Arthur Foulkes and his wife were asleep in their bedroom when their home was burglarized.
However, that incident was not included in the daily crime report.
Minister of National Security Marvin Dames downplayed the concerns recently, and said social media may be making housebreaking seem like a bigger problem than it is.