Men arrested at water pump during lockdown fined

Two Haitian men left their homes during the weekend lockdown to get water from the public pump, a court heard yesterday.

Police on foot patrol arrested Amrose Petitbeau and Rony Atinore at the water pump at Heritage Lane and Hospital Lane around 4:30 p.m. on May 16.

At an arraignment before Magistrate Sandradee Gardiner, both men admitted to breaking the lockdown that confined residents to their homes from 9 p.m. on May 15 to 5 a.m. on May 18, as part of measures designed to contain the spread of COVID-19.

In his police interview, Petitbeau said he was getting water to bathe.

Gardiner fined each man $400. If they fail to pay, they would have to spend one month in prison.

Magistrate Samuel McKinney fined a man $1,500, who gave his friend a ride to buy marijuana.

Police on mobile patrol arrested Ahmad Clarke and Kyshawn Charlton at Water Street in Big Pond around 10:30 a.m. on May 17.

Clarke told the court that he had a smoking habit and asked his friend to give him a ride to buy some marijuana.

Charlton said he was just doing a favor for a friend.

The decision was a costly one since both men must pay $1,500 by May 29, to avoid spending six months in prison.

Additionally, McKinney fined Clarke $1,000 for the 12 grams of marijuana police found on him. If he fails to pay, he would have to spend two months in prison.

The desire for a smoke caused Kendrick Rahming to lose his freedom.

Police arrested Rahming around 9:30 p.m. on May 16 at Commonwealth Boulevard in Elizabeth Estates.

He told the magistrate that he went out in search of a light to take his medication.

Rahming claimed that he did not have electricity at home and needed a box of matches.

On the other hand, the prosecutor said that Rahming told arresting officers that he was going for a Backwood cigarette to roll a joint.

Rahming apologized for trying to mislead the court.

McKinney told Rahming that his reason for breaking the lockdown “was less than justified”.

He has been ordered to pay a $1,500 fine or spend one year in prison.

Rahming said he didn’t have the money, so he began serving his sentence.

Violators of the curfew and lockdown regulations face a maximum prison sentence of 18 months and fines up to $10,000.

Show More

Artesia Davis

Artesia primarily covers court stories, but she also writes extensively about crime.

Related Articles

Check Also
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker