Minister of Transport and Local Government Renward Wells confirmed yesterday that the postmaster general authorized the shredding of undeliverable mail last month.
“Customers can be assured that the post office department takes the security and delivery of mail very seriously and that operations remain within the ambit of the law,” Wells said in a statement.
“To assist our efforts, all customers are encouraged to clear their private post boxes regularly.
“The Ministry of Transport and Local Government, under this minister, has resolved that the standard of the post office will be restored to one that will regain the respect of our international partners.”
He said the last deliberate destruction of undeliverable mail occurred on November 1 and 2.
He also noted that The Bahamas is a member of the United Postal Union, which outlines how to treat undeliverable mail.
“In each case, the law ultimately provides for their retention and resale, if they are of value, or their destruction, if they have no value,” he said.
“The conventional means of destruction is shredding. The rules authorize the postmaster general to make decisions as to their disposal, either immediate, after one month, after two months or up to one year, on a case by case basis.”
Bahamas Public Services Union (BPSU) President Kimsley Ferguson raised the issue earlier this week when he claimed that mass shredding was taking place at the General Post Office.
Former Minister of Transport and Aviation Glenys Hanna Martin also raised the issue in the House of Assembly on Wednesday and asked the government to address the allegation.