HomeNews

Minnis says Rolle not under any investigation 

Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis indicated yesterday that there is no investigation of former Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture Lanisha Rolle.

When asked whether the former minister was directly connected to an investigation or whether she is being investigated, Minnis told reporters, “No, she is not.”

Rolle resigned from Cabinet on Tuesday.

Hours after Rolle’s resignation letter to the governor general surfaced, the Cabinet Office released a statement formally announcing the resignation and added, “Prime Minister the Most Hon. Dr. Hubert Minnis has accepted Mrs. Rolle’s resignation. Certain matters have been brought to the attention of the prime minister and are under investigation.”

However, the parameters of the investigation were not specified.

Rolle remains the MP for Seabreeze.

Central Grand Bahama MP Iram Lewis has been appointed as minister of youth, sports and culture, leaving no women sitting in the Cabinet of The Bahamas.

When asked if there will be no women appointed to Cabinet until after the general election, Minnis responded, “I don’t know when the bell will ring. The bell may ring tomorrow and therefore, you don’t have time for that. But those are matters we’ll address.

“We always feel that we want to ensure that there are equal men and women, not only in Cabinet.”

The prime minister, in defending the position of women within government, said, “Even if you look in the Office of the Prime Minister, I’m male there, both my secretaries are females. My Delivery Unit director is female, my communications director is female, the individual in charge of The Bahamas Investment Authority is female.”

A reporter then suggested to the prime minister that his examples speak to women in supporting roles and not leadership.

He said, “Women are doing very well and I look forward to the day that we would have our first Bahamian prime minister.”

The prime minister did not say much more to reporters in that interview. He concluded, “Thank you very much. I’m late for the gym.”

On Wednesday, Opposition Leader and Public Accounts Committee (PAC) chairman Philip Davis said the committee will launch an investigation into the accounts of the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture.

He said, “We will do our job. We have a lot of work at hand and will put this on our agenda.”

Show More

Kyle Walkine

Kyle started with The Nassau Guardian in June 2014 as a broadcast reporter. He began anchoring the newscast four months later. Kyle began writing national news and feature stories in 2016. He covers a wide range of national stories. He previously worked as a reporter at Jones Communications. Education: College of The Bahamas, Bachelor Media

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker