A man accused of last year’s murder of Gordon “Hog” Newbold took the stand in his own defense yesterday.
Jerome Johnson, 33, denied that he shot Newbold multiple times at Acklins Street around 10 a.m. on April 11, 2018.
Johnson recounted his movements on the day in question.
After he woke up, he said he went to a breakfast place on Wulff Road before he returned to his home on Acklins Street. He said that he bathed, ironed and picked up his girlfriend, whom he referred to as his “little biddy”.
Johnson said he took her to a hair salon on Balfour Avenue but they left because the stylist wasn’t there. Johnson continued, noting that they stopped by his girlfriend’s sister’s home on Palmetto Avenue before they returned to his house.
Johnson explained that he noticed a crowd in the road and asked what had happened. He said he was told that people had “just ride up and shoot up that bey.”
Before he died, Newbold told three people that Johnson had shot him.
Johnson’s lawyer Wayne Munroe, QC, asked, “Did you shoot Gordon Newbold?”
He replied, “No sir. I wasn’t in the area.”
Munroe asked, “Did you have any issue with him?”
Johnson said, “No sir. If I did, his people would have known.”
Prosecutor Darnell Dorsette asked Johnson why he didn’t inform prosecutors of his alibi when he was committed to stand trial.
Johnson said that he had told the investigating officer that he was not in the area during his interview.
The case continues before Justice Bernard Turner.