The number of people in quarantine in The Bahamas because of possible coronavirus contact more than doubled in the span of a day, according to the Ministry of Health’s daily coronavirus dashboard.
The dashboard released today said that 278 people were in quarantine.
The dashboard sent Sunday evening said that 120 people were in quarantine.
Minister of Health Dr. Duane Sands told The Nassau Guardian that the number jumped because the ministry verified the number of people quarantined at home or in government facilities.
“It’s just verified numbers based on making contact with the contacts of new cases and finally getting a full count on all [who] have been contacted for the old cases,” he said.
“When you think about how many people one usually comes into close contact with on a daily basis, 20-plus people average per day for 14 cases would be 280-plus advised to self-quarantine.”
There were 14 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in The Bahamas as of Monday night.
Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis said on Monday, health officials are witnessing what they believe is the beginning of a surge in confirmed cases.
Emergency orders establishing a 24-hour curfew, business closures and mandatory social distancing are in effect until April 8 to try and prevent the spread of the highly contagious disease.
As of Monday, there were no recovered cases in The Bahamas, according to World Health Organization standards.
There have been no deaths reported from COVID-19 so far.
Worldwide, there were 770,653 confirmed COVID-19 cases as of Monday; 160,130 people were reported recovered and 36,946 were reported dead.