So far, the government has only collected $5 million of the funds pledged by various organizations and nations for Hurricane Dorian relief efforts.
Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis announced yesterday that as of September 30, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has received $5,159,007.52.
This figure does not include funds pledged to aid The Bahamas, the prime minister noted.
The country has received $1,901,250.00 from foreign governments; $1,362,025.02 from corporate donors; $1,325,388.97 from private citizens; $345,343.53 from non-governmental organizations; and $225,000.00 from intergovernmental organizations.
“I note that the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) will contribute $1 million for Hurricane Dorian recovery efforts. The UNDP funding will guarantee technical assistance in early recovery interventions for crucial areas, according to the program,” the prime minister said while thanking those who have shown their support to The Bahamas during his communication to Parliament on Hurricane Dorian in the House of Assembly yesterday.
“It will also help promote environmentally sustainable, resilient infrastructure; develop national and local capacities for disaster-risk reduction and recovery; and support livelihoods and the economic recovery of the most vulnerable communities.”
The government has encouraged organizations that want to donate to Dorian relief efforts to do so directly to NEMA.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Peter Turnquest has said the government intends to provide a detailed report on exactly how donated funds would be used for disaster relief and promised they would not be used for the rebuilding of public infrastructure or administrative costs.
The government has also already received $12.8 million from the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility Segregated Portfolio Company (CCRIF SPC).