News

Number reported missing drops to 1,300

According to the government’s registry, 1,300 people are still listed as missing in the wake of Hurricane Dorian, down 48 percent from the numbers given previously.

National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Spokesperson Carl Smith said on Wednesday that 2,500 people were missing. However, he said that after cross-checking the list against lists of evacuees and people staying in shelters, the number was greatly reduced.

“With respect to the missing persons register, we are happy to announce that the number of missing persons registered with the government is going down daily,” he said at a NEMA press conference.

“After beginning the process of cross-referencing the different databases…it is now at 1,300 persons, and this is down from 2,500 persons that I reported yesterday.”

He added, “This process is ongoing and the Department of Social Services has partnered with the Royal Bahamas Police Force to aid in identifying persons accounted for in our efforts to remove from that missing persons list, persons who have been identified as found.”

Smith added, “We are working extremely hard to ensure we brought on all of the information sources that we have to account for our missing persons.”

According to Smith, the numbers of people entering government shelters has stabilized.

“There are 150 people currently in shelters in Grand Bahama, who have been supported by The Bahamas government,” he said.

“Two thousand persons remain in shelters here in New Providence. These numbers have stabilized over the past few days, as we are no longer receiving a lot of displaced persons from Abaco and Grand Bahama.”

Show More

Rachel Knowles

Rachel joined The Nassau Guardian in January 2019. Rachel covers national issues. Education: University of Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish

Related Articles

Check Also
Close
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker