Chief Medical Officer Dr. Pearl McMillan said one in 70 Bahamians have contracted COVID-19.
This comes two weeks after she advised that one in every 100 Nassauvians was infected with COVID-19.
The Bahamas recorded 5,517 cases of COVID-19 since March.
“The increase in restrictive measures implemented last Friday are not yet manifesting results,” Dr. McMillan said during today’s press conference.
“It will take time to see a decrease in new cases, a decrease in hospitalizations, a decrease in deaths and downward change in the trends.”
She said over the last seven days, 627 new COVID-19 cases have been reported, representing a 12.6 percent increase over last week.
Dr. McMillan said 76.8 percent of the COVID-19 cases were reported on New Providence.
Additionally, she said one in every 50 COVID-19 cases have died as a direct result of the virus.
The death toll from COVID-19 stands at 112.
Health Minister Renward Wells said: “For the past 30 days we have averaged 1.5 deaths per day.”
According to information provided by Dr. McMillan, there are 1,246 active COVID-19 cases on New Providence; 57 on Grand Bahama; 29 on Abaco; five on the Berry Islands; eight on Exuma, and seven on Eleuthera. The remaining cases are spread across other islands.
As it relates to recoveries, she said there are 2,080 recoveries on New Providence; 544 on Grand Bahama; 17 on Abaco; 17 on the Berry Islands, one on Andros, eight on Exuma and 14 on Eleuthera.
Last week, Prime Minister Dr. Minnis announced a number of new restrictions for New Providence and Abaco in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19 ahead of the further opening of the tourism industry.
The measure includes weekend lockdowns and a 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. weekday curfew, among other restrictions.