Relatives anxious, but hopeful that loved ones survived

As helicopters with Hurricane Dorian evacuees arrived at Odyssey Aviation on New Providence, nineteen-year-old Antonia Nixon stood waiting and hoping that her family members would be on one of them.

While there have been many reports of total devastation in Marsh Harbour and some surrounding cays, Nixon said there has been little word on what’s happening in Treasure Cay, where her family lives.

As she broke down in sobs, Nixon said, “My house is gone, and I’m in Nassau and I have no clue what my family is doing. I just want help.

“I just want to know where my mummy is. I have no clue where my mummy is.

“My sister is in Marsh Harbour, and I have a friend in Marsh Harbour who I really need to get in contact with. I have no contact in Abaco whatsoever, and that’s all I really want right now.”

Nixon said some of her family members have medical issues.

“My niece has asthma,” she said. “She’s very asthmatic and I have no idea where they are.

“My grandmother, she is very old, and she’s diabetic, and I just, I just need help right now.”

She added, “I keep trying to tell myself to stay positive.”

Dorian slammed into the Abacos on Sunday, leaving a path of destruction in its wake. With sustained winds of up to 185 miles per hour (mph) and gusts of over 220 mph, it was the strongest storm to ever hit the northern Bahamas.

Many people are still awaiting word from their loved ones. Social media groups have been inundated with photos of missing people.

Sandra Cooke, however, was fortunate to be reunited with some of her family from Abaco yesterday after hiring a private helicopter service to rescue them.

“A little earlier, about an hour ago, the first helicopter with my family members came in, and it was my brother and sister-in-law,” she said.

“My sister-in-law, their roof collapsed on her. She was trapped under the roof for 17 hours. My brother couldn’t find her.

“He sent the dog in there, and the dog found her, but my brother couldn’t lift the roof off of her. So, she was stuck under that roof for 17 hours until there was a break in the storm, and then the neighbors came over to help.

“They took her across to their house. Today was the first day we’ve been able to get her out. She can’t walk.”

Cooke said she was still waiting for her nephew to arrive in Nassau.

Show More

Rachel Knowles

Rachel joined The Nassau Guardian in January 2019. Rachel covers national issues. Education: University of Virginia in Charlottesville, BA in Foreign Affairs and Spanish

Related Articles

Check Also
Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker