HomeNews

Six men killed

Six people were shot and killed and two others, including a two-year-old girl, were injured on Thursday in what Police Commissioner Paul Rolle described as one of the deadliest shooting incidents in recent history.

During a press conference at Police Headquarters tonight, police said six men were traveling in a white Honda Inspire on Jerome Avenue when a group of men opened fire on them shortly before 5 p.m.

All of the men died on the scene.

Assistant Superintendent Solomon Cash said a 19-year-old woman and a two-year-old child also received gunshot injuries.

They were said to be in critical condition in hospital.

Rolle said police intelligence suggests that the victims were a part of a “rival group”. He also revealed that they had been released from police custody earlier today, having been brought in for questioning in relation to a firearm matter.

Rolle said police officers have been deployed to various communities across New Providence in an effort to prevent any acts of retaliation.

“We’re not going to allow that tonight, or tomorrow, or the following days,” he said.

Rolle announced the establishment of an incident room at the Central Detective Unit to aid in the investigation. He said police have also established tip lines. Those with information on the deadly shooting are asked to call 5029929, 5029935, 5029942 or 5029952.

The commissioner said the shooting is the worst he’s seen.

“We have never had any incident on this level where you have six persons die,” he said. “We’ve had multiple incidents where multiple persons were shot, but I think this one is the worst in history where you have six persons [die].”

Minister of National Security Marvin Dames decried the unprecedented and tragic incident.

He pledged the government’s support in the investigation.

“We will not sit back and allow our nation to be overturned by a group of misfits,” he said.

“We are still a nation of laws and we will see to it that those who are responsible are brought to justice in the quickest possible time.”

Dames and Rolle appealed to members of the public with information to come forward.

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker