Minister of Tourism Dionisio D’Aguilar said 66 people have tested positive for COVID-19 when they took their fifth-day rapid antigen tests.
As of November 1, people arriving into The Bahamas are not required to quarantine. Instead, they are required to have a negative RT-PCR test within five days of arrival, obtain a travel health visa and undergo a rapid antigen test five days after arrival.
“There were 34 positives in November and 32 positives so far in December,” D’Aguilar told The Nassau Guardian.
“The vast majority of them would be returning residents. Obviously, when they’ve tested positive, the protocol then is that they then are required to have a PCR test and then that’s confirmed. But, they are handed over to the Ministry of Health and they take it from there.”
He was unable to say how many of those individuals tested positive on the RT-PCR follow up test.
“That comes out of tourism at that stage,” D’Aguilar said.
“Our job is to make sure that the results are uploaded to the site and we pass it over to [the Ministry of] Health to be processed.”
D’Aguilar said 20,485 people crossed the border into The Bahamas last month.
On November 13, Deputy Chief Medical Officer Dr. Delon Brennen said four individuals had tested positive on the antigen test between November 1 and 6.
They were among 1,691 individuals to have traveled to The Bahamas during that period.