Testimony in case of death threat against PM

A man allegedly called a police station and said that Prime Minister Philip Davis would be killed if Coalition of Independents (COI) Leader Lincoln Bain wasn’t released from custody.

Constable 4508 Drexel Maycock made the revelation yesterday while testifying at the threats of death case of Isaac Roberts.

Maycock said that he was on duty at the Central Police Station when he answered the phone around 8:20 a.m on February 8.

After identifying himself, Maycock said an unidentified man asked if Lincoln Bain was still in custody.

The man hung up the phone when Maycock asked who was calling.

About three to five minutes later, Maycock said, the phone rang again.

He said that when he answered, the same man who had called earlier said, “If you don’t release Lincoln Bain, Brave will be dead.”

Maycock said he told his superiors about the call and police control room was contacted.

Sergeant Cordero Farrington, asked, “Did you take the threat seriously?”

Maycock said that he did.

Farrington asked, “How did it make you feel?”

He replied, “It made me feel in fear.”

In cross-examination by Bjorn Ferguson, Maycock agreed that he wasn’t threatened.

Inspector Demetrius Taylor, a detective at the Criminal Investigation Department, said the identity of the suspect was determined with the assistance of technicians from Aliv and BTC.

He said Roberts was arrested at 2 p.m. and he interviewed him at 5 p.m.

Taylor said that Roberts admitted to calling the Central Police Station twice.

According to Taylor, in the first call, Roberts said he asked if Lincoln Bain was still in custody.

Taylor said in the second call, Roberts said words to the effect, “Release Lincoln Bain or Brave Davis gone.”

Taylor said he asked Roberts if he meant he was going to kill Davis.

That’s when Roberts allegedly said that he wouldn’t but someone else might, based on the protests going on at the time.

Ferguson asked the officer if he had received a formal complaint from the prime minister.

He said that he had not.

Before testimony commenced, Ferguson had asked Acting Chief Magistrate Roberto Reckley to dismiss the charge because Davis was not listed as the complainant.

Farrington responded that the commissioner of police was the complainant and the officer was acting on his behalf.

Show More

Artesia Davis

Artesia primarily covers court stories, but she also writes extensively about crime.

Related Articles

Back to top button