NewsUncategorized

Three new cases of COVID-19

Health officials yesterday reported three new cases of COVID-19 in The Bahamas.

Dr. Merceline Dahl-Regis, health consultant in the Office of the Prime Minister, said two of the cases were confirmed on Grand Bahama, bringing the island’s number of confirmed cases in the last week to 10, and one case was recorded on New Providence.

Officials said case 114 is a 25-year-old woman from New Providence with no history of travel.

Case 115 is a 52-year-old man of Grand Bahama who was hospitalized. Case 116 is a 39-year-old man of Grand Bahama, who has no travel history.

During a Ministry of Health press conference, Dahl-Regis said, “After experiencing a two-week lockdown, Bimini has had no reported cases for 59 days. However, after 63 days of reporting no cases, Grand Bahama has had eight new confirmed cases in the space of six days.

“For the majority of these new cases, there is a related travel history, according to the data collected so far by the surveillance unit.”

The government reopened The Bahamas’ borders to visitors on July 1, after being closed for more than three months amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Yesterday, Dahl-Regis said government officials are on “high alert for cases of suspected forgery, tampering and/or altering of required documents”.

She said they are prepared to “take action if necessary”.

Asked whether there have been incidents of fraudulent travel documents and COVID-19 results being presented, she replied, “Yes, ma’am.”

When asked how many incidents occurred since the reopening of borders, Dahl-Regis said, “No, I don’t have the exact numbers. But, we’ve had reports from Grand Bahama as well.”

She said there will be a police investigation if an individual presents a fraudulent COVID test upon arrival to The Bahamas.

Asked if police were made aware of the ministry’s concerns, Dahl-Regis replied, “Yes.”

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker