Business

Travel Channel names Nassau a top holiday destination

Nassau has been named one of 12 top family-friendly travel destinations for the holiday season by the Travel Channel.

A recent survey conducted by the channel showed that 40 percent of Americans plan to travel this holiday season, and Nassau was the only international destination included on the list for a family-friendly vacation.

“Nearly a third, 28 percent, are planning to spend $500 [or more] on their holiday travel,” a statement from Travel Channel noted.

Twenty-seven percent are traveling to a vacation destination with family, while only one in 10 are traveling to a vacation destination with a significant other or with friends.

“The leading travel brand also revealed its list of the top family-friendly travel destinations for the holiday season, each offering its own special flair: Indianapolis, Indiana; Long Beach, California; Nassau, Bahamas; Washington D.C.; San Diego, California; Richmond, Virginia; Colonial Williamsburg; Stowe, Vermont; Key West, Florida; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Nashville, Tennessee; and Greenville, South Carolina.”

The survey, which was conducted between September 13 and 17, also found that 48 percent would be traveling to places other than their hometowns or to relatives for holiday vacation.

Last week in a Bahamas State of Business release, the Ministry of Tourism’s global communications arm reiterated to its partners that The Bahamas remains open for business – adding that “one of the best things people can do to help, now more than ever is to visit”.

“Already, Grand Bahama island is rebounding with many of its hotels and attractions reopened and plans for its airport to resume international service soon,” the Ministry of Tourism said in a release.

“While the Abacos face a longer road to recovery, the country remains resilient and steadfast in its commitment to help the island rebuild by maintaining a healthy flow of tourism – which accounts for half of the country’s GDP – to the islands that were not affected by the storm.”

In the wake of Hurricane Dorian, which decimated parts of Abaco and Grand Bahama, Minister of Tourism Dionisio D’Aguilar has said that the ministry would suspend its global advertising campaign until the end of October or early November when it would unveil a new marketing strategy.

He said at the time, “we’ve obviously shut down all of our advertising that was in place now”.

“It doesn’t make sense to be advertising coming to vacation in The Bahamas when you’re reading in the news that the place is devastated,” he said.

“So, we’ve shut all that down. We’re accumulating our war chest and then we’ll relaunch again when we feel that it’s fit, when we enter the winter season.”

 

Show More

Paige McCartney

Paige joined The Nassau Guardian in 2010 as a television news reporter and anchor. She has covered countless political and social events that have impacted the lives of Bahamians and changed the trajectory of The Bahamas. Paige started working as a business reporter in August 2016. Education: Palm Beach Atlantic University in 2006 with a BA in Radio and Television News

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker