Commissioner of Police Paul Rolle said there have been very few curfew violations on New Providence since new measures were implemented last Friday in an effort to slow the spread of COVID-19.
“For the most part, persons have been in compliance,” he said.
“I think over the weekend we probably cited about five persons in Nassau in total.”
Rolle said he believes the message is getting through to New Providence residents.
“Last week, we didn’t have any complaints about parties, not here in Nassau,” he said.
“I think there were a couple on the Family Islands. So, I think, in Nassau, it appears as though the message is getting through to persons to kind of abide by these social distancing rules. But we are always concerned.”
Rolle said the incidents on the Family Islands have been dealt with.
“That was dealt with and operator of that was cited,” he said.
“So, we are ticketing now so there is a delay in the court proceedings with those.
“…Wherever we find persons in breach, we are going to take decisive action and ticket them.”
Last week, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis announced a number of new restrictions for New Providence and Abaco, including a 24-hour curfew on weekends and a 7 p.m. curfew on weekdays. All retail businesses, except for food stores, are limited to curbside-only services, and beaches and parks are closed once again.
In a press conference last week, Rolle said there were some 865 breaches to the COVID-19 emergency orders between March and the end of September.