Woman denies murdering man at Adelaide in 2015 

Accused killer Lynette Charlton, during a police interview, denied involvement in the murder of a man who was shot to death in 2015, a Supreme Court jury heard.

Charlton, 48, is on trial for the December 27, 2015 murder of Wayne Seymour at Adelaide.

Prosecutors say that Charlton shot Seymour in his truck and pushed him out of the vehicle, leaving him to die. They further allege that Charlton torched the truck and abandoned it on Unison Road.

Yesterday, the jury tasked with deciding whether Charlton is guilty as charged, watched a video of her December 29 interview with the investigating officer, Sergeant 2733 Lincoln McKenzie in which she acknowledged knowing the deceased.

McKenzie said, “I put it to you that you were in a relationship with Wayne Seymour and it became confrontational because you were obsessively jealous over him having other girlfriends. What do you have to say to that?”

Charlton replied, “That is not so; we were never in a relationship.”

McKenzie suggested that Seymour had picked her up from her Redland Acres apartment between 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. According to his theory, Charlton shot Seymour multiple times about the body before she drove off in his truck, leaving him to die “like a dog in the road”.

Charlton replied, “No sir, with an explanation, because I cannot drive at night; I cannot see.”

McKenzie questioned Charlton about a set of keys that were found in her bag.

Charlton replied, “Those are Wayne’s keys.”

According to Charlton, Seymour had misplaced his keys, passport and wallet when they rented a room at an inn off East Bay Street sometime in December. Unable to get into his truck, Charlton said, they walked to her apartment in Redland Acres to get her car.

At the end of the interview, McKenzie asked Charlton if she could read and write.

She replied, “Yes, but at the same time, no,” before she declined to read over and sign her answers.

During his testimony, McKenzie said he went to the inn, but could not confirm whether Charlton or Seymour had been guests there.

McKenzie said he visited the deserted area where the Chevrolet truck was found. He said he went to the Road Traffic Department and got a certified copy of the vehicle’s registration.

However, in response to a question from defense lawyer Sonia Timothy, McKenzie said he did not check the vehicle’s chassis number.

When questioned by the jury, McKenzie could not say whether the recovered key was for the truck.

The trial continues on Thursday before Justice Jeanine Weech-Gomez.

Abigail Farrington and Cephia Pinder-Moss are prosecuting.

Show More

Artesia Davis

Artesia primarily covers court stories, but she also writes extensively about crime.

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker