News

Woman who returned to The Bahamas from Italy in self-quarantine

Naya Maycock, 18, has been in a self-imposed quarantine since she returned to The Bahamas from Italy on February 26.

Italy has the second highest total confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), with more than 9,100 cases.

More than 460 people have died of the virus since the outbreak in Italy.

For this reason, Maycock told The Nassau Guardian yesterday, “I’ve stayed in. I only interacted on the first day so I’ve been in a serious self-quarantine. So, I’ve basically been home for a long time since I’ve gotten back.”

She said she hasn’t “really left” the house since returning to Nassau.

“The most I’ve been is to the food store to get food,” Maycock said.

Maycock is a student at the United World College (UWC) Adriatic in Duino, Italy.

Although there have been no reported cases in that area, UWC Adriatic has temporarily closed the school as a “precautionary measure” in response to COVID-19.

On Monday, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte ordered that people living in the country stay at home and seek permission for essential travel.

A measure, he said, designed to protect Italy’s most vulnerable populations.

On March 7, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that Italy, Iran and South Korea had been added to the government’s travel ban amid the global spread of COVID-19. The three countries have seen thousands of cases of the virus since its outbreak in Wuhan, China, in late-December.

Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis has vowed that the government “will not take any chances” as it relates to COVID-19.

Kiosks at Lynden Pindling International Airport (LPIA) have been disabled, and immigration officers are questioning all passengers coming through LPIA amid heightened awareness over COVID-19, according to authorities.

However, Maycock suggested that protocol is not as strict as authorities claim.

“You’d be surprised,” she said.

“I did not get asked one question. I took connecting flights. I took my flight from Trieste to Munich, Germany, and to New Jersey and from New Jersey back home. I was asked no questions. I was kind of surprised. My dad thought they were going to quarantine me or something.

“Like at this point, I was kind of concerned with that because I was like, ‘I can have it and no one knows, you know? Not even me.’”

Minister of Foreign Affairs Darren Henfield told The Nassau Guardian yesterday that “no Bahamians are in Italy that we are aware of”.

As of yesterday, there have been more than 113,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in 110 countries. At least 4,000 people have died from the virus globally.

On Monday, Health Minister Dr. Duane Sands said the risk level in The Bahamas for an outbreak of COVID-19 is “very high”.

There have been no reported cases in The Bahamas.

Show More

Jasper Ward

Jasper Ward started at The Nassau Guardian in September 2018. Ward covers a wide range of national and social issues. Education: Goldsmiths, University of London, MA in Race, Media and Social Justice

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please support our local news by turning off your adblocker